Subject: mail servers
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: joe bsd <joebsd1@yahoo.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/03/2002 16:51:05
Hello again,

I have two NetBSD 68k macs acting as firewalls, routers, dns servers.
Behind them I put my home network.  I registered a domain name
and want to setup qmail. This mail server won't have many users.

Behind the firewall I have a linux machine that acts as a samba, NIS and
home directory server on a private 192.168.1.xxx network.  I'm wondering
which would be the best place to put the mailserver.  Should I put it on
one of the firewall machines or should I put it behind the firewall on the
linux server?

Which would be best for the security of the home network?
Are there any other issues to consider in making the choice?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

   --Joe

=====