Subject: Re: sshd and read-only filesystem
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/09/2001 22:53:49
In article <1eway3e.y8x1yfsh3ud6M@[10.0.12.137]>,
Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org> wrote:

It is all historical remnants of old code. In the old days it was
not considered so bad running on a tty you did not own, but now it
is (and rightfully so). So old programs did not check, or checked
and warned, newer ones check and exit. The largest concern there
used to be TIOCSTI, but that is limited to the superuser in modern
unixes. There of course other security problems accociated with
not owning your tty....

christos