Subject: Re: integrating /etc/changelist into mtree
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/03/2001 18:28:48
Verily did Hubert Feyrer write:

>>> Um, you're aiming for a little much functionality in mtree here. IMHO
>>> that's not needed for mtree, and should not be implemented there.
>>> As an alternative, you could - e.g. - put special comments in some
>>> mtree file if you want to store data there, and then grep things out
>>> of that mtree file, putting it into changelist.

>> The problem with that is that mtree doesn't grok "#.*$" as a valid comment
>> (using ERE to illustrate my point).  At least it didn't the last I checked.
>> Otherwise, that would pretty much fall within the request of my PR.

>>From mtree manpage:

>   Empty lines and lines whose first non-whitespace character is a hash mark
>      (``#'') are ignored.

> Maybe mtree needs some fixing then...

Ah, I remember what the problem is.

How do you determine that `passwd' belongs in /etc or /var/spool/ftp/bin
without re-inventing mtree in a perl script?

Rob++
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.