Subject: Re: "daily insecurity output" annoyance
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 01/25/2001 10:30:11
In message <87elxr8yth.fsf@snark.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:

>Every day I get reports telling me crud like:
>
>	Login toor is off but still has a valid shell (/bin/sh)
>	Login backup is off but still has a valid shell (/bin/sh)
>
>etc.
>
>I want these accounts around -- I just want the password based login
>capability disabled.
>
>Right now, as it stands, /etc/security prints that message out no
>matter what if field two of the password file is not thirteen or
>twenty characters long. (What is twenty characters for?)
>
>I propose that we distinguish between accounts that are not password
>loginable and accounts that are off by using different characters for
>the second field -- something other than * -- and that I then hack the
>/etc/security script to properly note this distinction and ignore the
>accounts that are intentionally on but password disabled.
>
>Comments?

I have similar complaints.  How about "nopw" being the magic string
you're looking for?  Better yet, "*nopw", with "*" meaning "/etc/security
should ignore this; the remaining characters may be significant to
something else".  That way, we can "*files-only" for an ownership id,
"*ssh-only", "*anon-ftp", etc.