Subject: Re: ssh - are you nuts?!?
To: None <opentrax@email.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/17/2000 10:34:16
On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 12:08:51AM -0800, opentrax@email.com wrote:

 > Are there any more features that might make SSH valuable?
 > I've been told that strong, user-level encryption is available
 > to telnet. So, is adding it by default necessarily a good thing?

However, strong user-level encryption is not STANDARD for telnet -- many
implementations of telnet do not support encryption, whereas all SSH
implementations do.

Also, SSH provides RSH-like remote command execution functionality,
as well as secure tunneling of X11 connections and secure port forwarding
(e.g. "ssh into your company's user gateway, and use port forwarding to
get at the internal web server that's not available to the general public").

There are (IMO :-) some ways that SSH can be improved (use of Kerberos
for host authentication, for example), but there is some movement on that
in the IETF.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>