Subject: Re: ssh - are you nuts?!?
To: None <opentrax@email.com>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/17/2000 09:19:05
opentrax@email.com writes:

> Are there any more features that might make SSH valuable?

Password-less login.  I can type my passphrase once, and for the
remainder of the life of the login session or shell, I can ssh "for
free" into certain machines.

This is also dangerous, of course; it's easy for me to forget and
leave my terminal, which theoretically makes a whole batch of
computers vulnerable, not just one.  To help address this, I've been
thinking for some time about adding a locking IOCTL that prevents
virtual console switching -- that way, I can just run xlock or lock,
and I can feel pretty safe leaving my terminal.  As always, of course,
I haven't had time to do any coding on this.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large