Subject: Re: SunOS/Solaris "nobody" UID versus NetBSD's "nobody" UID
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Fair <security-officer@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/18/1999 22:10:27
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 19 Nov 1999 06:23:54 -0000
	by digital.clock.org (8.8.8/8.8.5) with ESMTP id WAA19014
	for <tech-security@netbsd.org>; Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:23:52 -0800 (PST)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:10:27 -0800
To: tech-security@NetBSD.ORG
From: Erik Fair <security-officer@NetBSD.ORG>

OK, I think I see the pattern here:

1. nobody UID is "-2" (or an unsigned representation of same,
bit-width dependent) which is consistent with default NFS mapping of
root client access to an server.

2. nobody UID is an arbitrary value.

We currently fall into #2.

Consistency issues aside, I think the main security issue (why I
brought it up here) is whether having a "nobody" UID in /etc/passwd
would encourage system administrators to set file/directory ownership
to that UID, and, in the presence of NFS, does that present a
security exposure?

If we say "yes", then our current situation is OK, and we leave
things as they are.

If we say "no", then we should change "nobody" to "-2" for better
consistency with the rest of the world (not to mention our own
mountd). I did a cursory walk through libc to try and find the passwd
file parser (it used to be in getpwent.c) and failed to find it; I
was trying to check if it will accept a negative number in the UID
and GID fields of /etc/passwd (and /etc/group).

Any further thoughts along this line?

	pondering ponderously,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>