Subject: Re: NTP and Xntp questions
To: Sheila&bob/Herbal Gypsy and the Tinker <shsrms@erols.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/07/1999 10:06:11
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 7 Sep 1999 08:44:16 -0000
	by antioche.lip6.fr (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id KAA02677;
	Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:44:06 +0200 (MEST)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:06:11 +0200
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
To: Sheila&bob/Herbal Gypsy and the Tinker <shsrms@erols.com>
Cc: tech-security@netbsd.org

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 10:32:15PM -0400, Sheila&bob/Herbal Gypsy and the Tinker wrote:
> Is anyone running ntp/Xntp?
> I have been shying away from it, I have used it for DoS functions.  Some
> systems
> get pretty hosed up when you slip them different time.

You can setup authentification for trusted sources.

> Now, I am in need of a system clock for kerberos.  I am finally putting
> my alphas and vax together for some fun.
>
> Is anyone successfully running ntp/Xntp?

Yes !

> Is there anything special that has to be done if you add a PC running
> netbsd to the mix?

Nothing special. Eventually you need to add -A to the xntpd flags do
disable authentification if it has not been set up properly.