Subject: Re: cryptosrc-intl
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/14/1999 10:51:51
On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:06:09PM +1000, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >  Well, I thought I yanked the code. I noticed yesterday that I seem to have
> >not done so. I think my command silently failed. (due to -f)
> >  I will yank things at 3pm Wednesday.
> >  The list is:
> >	rc2  (trade secret of RSA)
> >	rc4  (trade secret of RSA)
> >	rc5  (patented in the US by RSA)
> >	rsa  (patented in the US)
> >	dsa  (patent claimed by RSA in the US)
>
> DSA?  I assume you mean because RSA claim that their patent covers
> the "concept" of public key crypto?  If you buy that line, you might
> as well give up programming entirely.

RSA have a patent that they _claim_ covers DSA.  The NSA, on the other
hand, has rather publically stated that they invented the relevant
technique first and can document it.  Nobody seems to think RSA would get
far in any court with an infringement claim against someone using DSA,
and RSA, despite making a lot of noise early on, have yet to sue anyone...

It's clearly not up to me, but I don't see the point of removing DSA.
Does any other user or developer?