Subject: Re: OpenSSL import
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@inetdb.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/1999 11:59:36
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> > Any "non-commercial use" license effectively kills it for inclusion
> > in the NetBSD source tree, since plenty of us use it in commercial
> > applications.
>
> If it's not compiled, you can hardly be accused of using it.

I think this is nit-picking.  The licensing restrictions on IDEA contrary
to the idea of software without strings attached.  To quote the FreeBSD
Handbook, from the Goals page:

"The goals of the FreeBSD Project are to provide software that may be used
for any purpose and without strings attached. "

			- Jordan K. Hubbard

Regardless of this coming from the FreeBSD Handbook, I think the NetBSD
team has similar goals.  If the string attached to -any- part of the
disribution is "no commercial use" then that's something that needs to be
excised from the distribution.

Let's not include software in NetBSD that has strings attached.  I don't
care if it's on by default or not, it's "part of NetBSD."

--
Chris