Subject: Re: OpenSSL import
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/1999 08:24:10
joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:
> Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> writes:
> > As I understand it, the "non-commercial" limitation makes it a
> > non-starter for use in NetBSD proper (where one should be able to
> > take the core NetBSD distribution and sell it to anyone to use for
> > any purpose).
>
> Yes, but since nobody proposed to build IDEA by default (that was my
> impression), this isn't really relevant.

Not true.  It's relevant if the source code is to be included, even.

Look at the licenses on the stuff in the NetBSD source tree.  If you
want to go sell the whole thing for a profit, you can.  That means
with any of the supported options for building the source tree, too.

You might have to give away the sources for some of it, and you might
not be able to charge for the sources for those bits, but they're
well-segregated and we have a strong policy of doing what we can to
_reduce_ the size of that source pool whenever possible.  And in no
case is commercial distribution prohibited (that i'm aware of, at
least; if there is, we need an exorcism 8-).

cgd