Subject: Re: OpenSSL import
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/1999 09:49:58
> http://www.ascom.ch/infosec/idea/licensing.html
>
>     Because Ascom Ltd. wants to make this highly secure algorithm
>     widely available, the non-commercial use of this algorithm is
>     free.

As I understand it, the "non-commercial" limitation makes it a
non-starter for use in NetBSD proper (where one should be able to take
the core NetBSD distribution and sell it to anyone to use for any
purpose).

Given this patent license, IDEA would be fine in a package with
"LICENSE=no-commercial-use", but not in the core of the distribution.
So pgp2 and ssh, at least, should get a no-commercial-use license tag
in the package makefiles.

Oh, and from reading the SSH 1.2.26 license, the whole ssh package,
indepedant of IDEA should be labelled no-commercial-use..

					- Bill