Subject: Re: what to put into cryptosrc-intl tree
To: Sheila and.. <shsrms@erols.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/23/1999 00:08:38
On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 08:56:23PM -0400, Sheila and.. wrote:
> I am usually a lurker here,but your notes have caused me to decloak.
>
> Michael C. Richardson wrote:
> >
> >   Please see my previous post for background.
> >
> >   This is my idea:
> >
> > 1. openssl
> >         a) This gets us basic cryptography routines: DES, 3DES, IDEA, CAST,
> >                 RSA, DSS, DH. We should have a libdes.a, and libcrypto.a.

Unfortuantely, OpenSSL just isn't okay to include in NetBSD.  One of our
goals for NetBSD is that it should be possible for a commercial concern to
sell/ship binaries built from our source tree without violating any laws or
intellectual property rights.

OpenSSL contains *gobs* of code which implements patented algorithms; if
sold without substantial rework of code and documentation it would also
trample on a number of trademarks.  It's a shame, because it's so useful,
but this just isn't something that can be included in a NetBSD distribution.

Thor