Subject: Poink?
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/05/1999 15:18:51
Someone at work pointed me at this letter...  I can't find anything about
it. Hoax? Guarded secret? You be the judge...

to all-

im sure ya'll have heard of poink, an exploit against freebsd/openbsd
machines (these are the boxes i have tested on) it appears to work very
efficiently in killing freebsd 3.1 - freebsd 3.0 machines, against one of
our freebsd 2.2.5 machines, it did bring up the error messages in
/var/log/messages (arp lookups) but didnt kill the machine like the
others...

im just wondering if there are any patches for this, and i noticed there
is no mention of it on freebsd's website....

-Chris
Systems Administration

Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropped
http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net ((  from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore