Subject: FWD from cryptography@c2.net
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/04/1999 13:38:18
FYI.

Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 10:08:51 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: David Honig <honig@sprynet.com>
Subject: BSD & /dev/random web page

I've posted a small collection of my BSD and
crypto-randomness-related pages at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Code/4704/

This includes MUST code in C (and a PDF copy of Maurer's paper), How to
instrument BSD with sysctl,How to Verify your IPsec, and studies of
/dev/random.  The site collects in a permenant place the hacks
that I've posted in various fora.

I've included a modified BSD random_machdep.c file on the web site
which includes  sysctl  switches for various parts of
the /dev/random system.  With this, I've observed:

By replacing the MD5 hash with an insecure version,
(so you can 'see' into the random pool)
you can monitor, in real-time, the entropy of your
random pool ("cat /dev/urandom | uliscan")
and see the effect of various interrupts
as they temporarily boost the entropy.  This study is
in progress.