Subject: Re: Minor /etc/security problems
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/30/1998 18:58:35
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:
> The ingres account is quite useful, though it will probably be
> replaced by a `database' account in 1.4. This is what the database
> processes should run as when you postgresql, mysql, or whatever.

Just to throw in my DM -,02:
1. Every package should care to create the accounts it needs.
   We don't carry stuff for pkgs not installed around either -
   /usr/pkg is empty on new systems (if it exists at all). Any
   account flying around unused is just a potential security hole.
2. There should be no "general" accounts.
   This makes it possible to distribute administration of things
   among several people, with each protected against the others.
   This is also a security issue - imagine a system with several
   database systems installed needs just one of them hacked some
   way, and _all_ databases can be accessed.

> (Adding new users with pkg_add is problamatic, at best.)

I don't think so. Not too.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>