Subject: Re: Removing dm(1)
To: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/19/1997 16:01:11
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Missing - presumed fed. wrote:
> Curt Sampson sez:
> /*
>  *  There aren't a lot of 30-user VAX 11/780 systems out
>  * there these days that are getting bogged down by a dozen people
>  * playing rogue. (There aren't a lot of systems still out there that
>  * would even notice a dozen people playing rogue.)
>
> There are probably not even a dozen people on any given system who
> are INTERESTED in playing rogue. :-)

However, there are people who are interested in playing, say, gnuchess.
Gnuchess is a CPU hog, and (in my environment, and IMHO) should only be
run after hours, whenever that is.  dm is an excellent method of limiting
such games, whether they came with NetBSD or not.

Besides, I run a fairly heavily-used NetBSD/mac68k system.  It's a Mac
IIcx, not exactly a speed demon, and limiting games to load averages < 2.0
is good and relevant here.  I don't have many users who are willing to sit
through a three-hour compile of their favorite game just to bypass my dm
policy.  :)

>  * So I'm going to propose that we simplify life and remove dm(8).
>  * Does anyone have any objections to this?

Yup.

Chris

Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...