Subject: Re: bin/4489: /usr/games/fish allows setuid games binaries to be created by unprivileged user
To: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/18/1997 16:25:50
On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> Mike Long <mikel@shore.net> wrote:
> > >This isn't just an esoteric problem. I wonder how many people have
> > >'fortune' in their /etc/profile? Wouldn't take you long to get a root shell.
> >
> > This is a bit of a red herring; fortune(6) isn't controlled by dm.
>
> Oh, um, you're right. I was sure I'd checked that ;-) :(.

Huh? It doesn't matter if fortune is controlled by dm or not; you
can still use another program controlled by dm (fish, say) to become
games, and then replace the fortune executable with a trojan.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates