Subject: Re: NFS file handles are guessable.
To: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/07/1997 13:15:05
> > What we really desperately need is a /dev/random...
>
> What's wrong with Theodore Ts'o's /dev/random?
>
> /assar

Nothing, except that it hasn't been completely ported to all
architectures of NetBSD.

I've ported Ted's driver to NetBSD/i386 (and HP-UX...), though it
wound up being severely rototilled in the process..

In order to implement it correctly, you need:

	- code to read a high-resolution timer
	- code to hook into device driver interrupts and sample that
	  timer.

Both of these are quite machine-dependant, and I'm not in a position
to implement or test these for anything other than the i386 (and the
hp700..).  Knowing *which* interrupts to hook is also an interesting
question..

					- Bill