Re: cvs/fossil time Re: "hg clone https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src/" still aborts, but...

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:58:52PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> I thought one of the reasons we didn't choose for `fossil' was the time taken
> to clone/checkout a repo. AFAIR it didn't take hours, let alone 3.5 to 5
> hours to checkout!

It doesn't take that long for me (I just tried on a fresh dir). I have
the "evolve" extension installed, which adds like 5m to the final time
for cache updates (see the lengthy warning below).

So I'd estimate ~40m for regular installations (on this machine and
with my connection to whatever cdn cache is closest, I think decix
Frankfurt in my case)

Martin

[/tmp] martin@martins > mkdir blah
[/tmp] martin@martins > cd blah/
[/tmp/blah] martin@martins > time hg clone https://anonhg.NetBSD.org/src/
destination directory: src
applying clone bundle from https://anonhg.NetBSD.org/_bundles/src/77d2a2ece3a06d837da45acd0fda80086ab4113c.zstd.hg
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 931876 changesets with 2425841 changes to 439702 files (+417 heads)
finished applying clone bundle
searching for changes
Stable range cache is taking a while to load

Your repository is probably big.

Stable ranges are used for discovery missing obsolescence markers during
exchange. While the algorithm we use can scale well for large repositories, the
naive python implementation that you are using is not very efficient, the
storage backend for that cache neither.

This computation will finish in a finite amount of time, even for repositories
with millions of revisions and many merges. However it might take multiple tens
of minutes to complete in such case.

In the future, better implementation of the algorithm in a more appropriate
language than Python will make it much faster. This data should also get
exchanged between server and clients removing recomputation needs.

In the meantime, go take a break while this cache is warming.

See `hg help -e evolve` for details about how to control obsmarkers discovery and
the update of related cache.

--- Sorry for the delay ---
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 1459 changesets with 9078 changes to 5549 files (+1 heads)
new changesets 26c8f37631b6:3d6ab1c4701f
931876 local changesets published
updating to bookmark @ on branch trunk
172010 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
1886.111u 307.392s 47:37.29 76.7%	0+0k 120+0io 299pf+0w