Re: Moving NetBSD from CVS to svn|git|hg|fossil

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 17.03.2016 23:34, John Klos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's been lots of discussion (although not here) about moving
>> NetBSD from CVS to something else. There are many points to
>> discuss, so it may be worth separating discussion in to one of
>> several threads:
>>
>> Discussion of the impact on the workflow of the NetBSD project.
>>
>> Discussion about the long term maintainability of the commit
>> history of the project.
>>
>> Discussion about the tools themselves, how they'll be integrated in
>> to NetBSD, and how we will provide services for older and current
>> NetBSD machines.
>>

>> Personally, I know nothing about any of these SCMs beyond basic use
>> of CVS, so I'm mostly concerned that any new tools have minimal
>> impact on the size of the OS (meaning not importing Perl / Ruby /
>> python, et cetera, in to base) and operate decently even on modest
>> machines (meaning one shouldn't be required to have hundreds of
>> megabytes just to check out src).
>>
>> John
>
> I just tested checkout of FreeBSD's svn over https and the process was
> using approximately 300M RAM (I shortly checked top(1)).
>
> I wasn't able to clone with depth=1 a NetBSD IIJ src with git with
> 600M RAM.
>
> Going out of cvs to svn/git will alienate significant part of Tier 1
> port machines and most of the Tier 2 ones.
>
> Could you please list your wish list of features to add/improve in cvs(1
> )?

Can you use jsonn/src instead?  https://github.com/jsonn/src

Also here is some ~/.gitconfig  for your smaller machine (I have more* below)
[pack]
        threads = 1
[core]
        bigFileThreshold = 5m
[transfer]
        unpackLimit = 10
[push]
        default = simple

I can do a full clone in 415MB and a --depth 1 in far less.

*  experiment with the commented out stuff
[pack]
        #windowMemory = 2m
        #packSizeLimit = 64m
        #deltaCacheSize = 2m