Re: Why I'm working on a NetBSD conversion

Hi,

Thus wrote Eric S. Raymond (esr%thyrsus.com@localhost):

> S.P.Zeidler <spz%NetBSD.org@localhost>:
> I'm aware that versions of GNU CVS since 1.12 issue commitids, of course.
> But that only began in 2004 and most of your history will not have them.

NetBSD cvs uses the feature since afair sometime last year. It should
make moving "anywhere else but with changesets" decidedly less urgent.

> > Also, if one really wanted to make the effort, we do have the commitlogs
> > back to nearly the beginning of time, so the data could be extracted
> > if one wanted to do that badly enough. That would also allow retracing
> > subsequent repo moves.
>
> That would be an *immense* amount of work, even with my tools.

And in my estimation, the benefit would not be worth the effort.
Opinions on this may differ.

> There remains the question of what NetBSD's strategic direction is.  Do you
> intend to remain with CVS for the central repositories?  If not, can I
> assist the transition out of it?

I have only a 1/200th of a voice in that. Part of the problem is that
cvs is an evil we all know and know how to work around, while an
alternative VCS that is significantly better than cvs and doesn't give at
least a third of the active developers an outbreak of hives has yet to be
found. i.e., the problem is not so much "would we like to move to
something that supports $wishlist?" but "which one would we move to?"

regards,
	spz