Re: Scaling Mercurial at Facebook

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 10:35:59AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I think that might lead to some self-deception. It is not possible to
> plan such a thing perfectly.

It is not about a perfect plan, but folks stay at the "I demand to convert
pkgsrc to git and somebody else (tm) to solve all the hard problems this
causes" level.

And the hard problems here includes thinking about authentication, key
distribution, changes in workflow, changes to other project machines
and what have you. The possible options should be clear (or easy to
find out) for someone already successfully using the target SCM in other
contexts, so it seems only fair to put the onus of creating a rough plan
on the proponents of each system.

Martin