Re: ESR: "bzr is dying; Emacs needs to move"

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> Read the following after applying
>
> sed -e "s/emacs/NetBSD/g" -e "s/bzr/CVS/g"
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/msg00005.html

Scary how spot-on this is after the above substitution. I fully agree.

I know that this may spawn another centithread but: how about we use a
"canary" for a VCS migration? For example, moving pkgsrc-wip to git
would probably be trivial, considering that it's sourceforge that
hosts it. Last time I checked, sourceforge supports hosted git
repositories.

As a new data point, I did some hacking on pkgsrc on MirBSD during
30c3 using a clone of github.com/jsonn/pkgsrc. This was in part to
work around the freeze, in part to see how git copes with the typical
pkgsrc workflows. I was positively surprised, I must say. Some
observations:

- you want distfiles/ and packages/ in gitignore.
- not ignoring work directories is actually a convenient way to find
stale work directories quickly.
- downgrading a single package (in my case, to get autoconf-2.61 for
some configure script) is easy to do, using "git checkout $revision
devel/autoconf". This set the working copy back to the given revision
and put the changes to HEAD into the index.
- branch/rebase/merge is a good workflow for upgrading single packages.

Thus, even if the NetBSD project is not prepared to move to git
outright, we could do a move for pkgsrc-git, then pkgsrc. src could
come later.

--Benny.