Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 08:38:48PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 04:31:23PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:12:12AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > > Is Perl a potential issue?
> >
> > We want the SCM we use in base, so it has to be crosscompilable. Perl is a
> > non-starter.
>
> well, git can be built with "make NO_PERL=1", see:
>
> # Define NO_PERL if you do not want Perl scripts or libraries at all.
>
> from git's Makefile.

Thanks to my handy bashing of keys in vi, the last part of this went
missing.  In terms of loss of functionality from not being able to use perl
with Git, then you lose the Git perl wrapper module (obviously) but you also
lose the following commands:

% ls *.perl
git-add--interactive.perl  git-cvsexportcommit.perl  git-cvsserver.perl
git-relink.perl      git-svn.perl   git-archimport.perl
git-cvsimport.perl   git-difftool.perl   git-send-email.perl

Which isn't bad, actually.  The only one one that list which might be a
problem is "git-send-email" but unless you wish to email out a patchset
anyway -- which is all this command is useful for -- there's still other
ways of doing this.

The other commands there are import mechanisms from foreign SCMs to git.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.