Re: git copies of cvs modules available

Hi,

Thus wrote Arnaud Lacombe (lacombar%gmail.com@localhost):

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> > [...]
> > 5. Also, the git pack files are too large
> > 6. Make them smaller then
> > 7. They can't be made smaller at the current time as that would add
> > more load; more than we want at the current time

In fact the result here is that we repack the repos to 50MB packs every
12:00 UTC instead of doing an update, but that seems to have the side
effect of taking the old 50MB packs and replacing them with new files,
which is not great for rsync. So at present doing rsync for anything else
but the initial transfer cannot be recommended.

Take instead:
The git repo has been broken after a system panic such that the obvious
way forward was to restore a backup
git fsck will tell you there is a problem, but not fix it
If we should be using something as brittle as git, backups should be
run at least daily

> > 13.  And so to today's - we should kick out history from the repo and
> > start again

If we do not plan to make HEAD run on git, but only offer up a git repo as
a development help, for the steps that wouldn't be committed today either,
that's actually reasonable.

> ps: I've seen that hg convertion of the repository have also been
> done, but I've not seen such a strong discussion taking place, did I
> miss something ?

Yes, you missed that it did NOT work. At least not on src.

regards,
        spz
--
spz%serpens.de@localhost (S.P.Zeidler)