Re: FreeBSD src/ repository converted to subversion

Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> writes:

> FWIW: FreeBSD has converted (or is converting) its src/ tree to subversion:
>
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/
>
> They chose subverseon (over other solutions including distributed ones) mainly
> due to strong similarity to CVS.

I've been talking to peter%freebsd.org@localhost as he's been working on
the conversion.  The first thing I asked him is how they solve
the problem with pulling sources on a low memory machine.  The
large amounts of memory svn allocates in the working copy entry
cache was the biggest objection to using svn for NetBSD.

Their answer is to mirror commits from svn into cvs and have
end users continue pulling the way they always did: cvs, cvsup,
and so on.

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/svnadmin/tools/export.py?revision=179470&view=markup

I don't understand why they used the DAVish network layer,
however, and didn't really get an answer for that.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg%NetBSD.org@localhost