Subject: Re: Chatted with Ben Collins-Sussman as OSCON
To: None <tech-repository@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: tech-repository
Date: 07/30/2007 18:34:41
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:02:02AM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> None of these things makes fixing the problem of correctly importing
> cvs history any easier, but it does seem to diminish the motivation to
> do so when people are apparently so readily accepting of such
> information loss.

I don't think that svn means to suggest that you 'should' be willing to
lose history, only that many people seem okay with it. Hence there has
been little motivation for others to improve cvs2svn.

> I've always assumed we're not so accepting, am I wrong?

I'm with you. I mentioned to him that people had expressed an interest
in merging pre-cvs change history onto the front of our tree. That
dropped his jaw a bit ;-)

I think that code is very bad at expressing intent, and good history
partially mitigates that.

An organization gets what it rewards.
			      - Perry Metzger