tech-ports archive

Re: PPC 860 port?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:24:21PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> Do we have any ports using the PowerPC 860?

I started one a long time ago (paying customers intervened).  Look at
http://www.realtime.bc.ca/realsys/netbsd-mpc8xx.html.

I also remember that the OpenBlockS outfit did a port of some kind as well.
(See www.plathome.com.)

> If not, anyone have any guesses at how difficult such a thing would be to
> create?  I find myself with some hardware I think it would be Cool to run
> NetBSD on, and, based on what I've been able to find, the CPU is an
> 860....

The biggest issue was the pmap.  It's possible, though, that one of the
smaller IBM PowerPC's (403? 405?) may be similar.  The rest of the work was
the usual boot loader, interrupt handling, console drivers, and so forth.

Regards,

David Querbach
Real-Time Systems Inc.