Subject: RE: porting NetBSD to MainFrame ?
To: $B9>F#!!7=Li(B <HAG01203@nifty.ne.jp>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: tech-ports
Date: 08/31/1999 15:50:00
370s are like nothing currently supported by NetBSD.

The 3x0 is  some exotic IBM hardware.
To port:
1) You'ld have to be an expert on all of the hardware out there (there's
a lot!)
2) You'ld have to have unrestricted access to one.  I'm not aware of any
Colleges or Businesses that would let you reboot there 370/390 to test
your port of UNIX much less let you experiment with their hardware.
2a) Do you have any idea how much power a 'traditional' 370/390 pulls on
start up?
3) If you pick up one at auction, you've got to have a place to put it
(it isn't small) much less a service capable of supplying it with enough
power.

It seems to me, it would probably be easier porting NetBSD to a Cray!

Now IBM's VM is capable of running a virural UNIX machine concurently
with MVS, sort of like a MACH Kernel.  YOu could port at that level, but
you'ld have to have some serious sysadmin level access.  A freind said
the Southwestern Bell Telephone was running a virtural UNIX machine,
along with MVS and some other VM, on there IBM mainframes when he left.
 Some last ditch effort to get out of the COBOL world.

I remember being one of hundreds of drones using one of these in college
and they realy do suck (in usablily) compared to the modern computers.
 So why do it?

jam