Subject: Re: Is There a Port For Nec Risc Workstations?
To: Rev. Cyron <cyron@voicenet.com>
From: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@ic.sunysb.edu>
List: tech-ports
Date: 11/19/1996 15:43:18
> A Professor of mine has a Nec Risc Workstation, and has been nagging me
> about getting Something other than WindoZe NT on it.  I doubt there is
> any UniX OSes that support it.  The only one that would be the most
> probable is NetBSD.  You Programmers are the Best! keep up the good work.
> Anyway, It has a Mips Processor which one I don't know, I think it's
> 33MhZ.  Do any Of you know if there is a NetBSD port for it, or if there
> is any other UniX OS that would support it?  I guess getting netBSD to
> work with the CPU wouldn't be to difficult, it's dealing with the Display
> is the only problem I could think of...

Hmm... this is probably one of thise "Express RISC Servers" right?  Anyway
there is supposed to be a port of SCO Gemini for this machine sometime in
the distant future.  Microsuck has dropped support for their MIPS port so
NT is pretty much a dead end.

Regarding the processor, it is probably an NEC Vr4400.  I really do not
know what the clock speed would be though.  This machine is at the least
"mostly" ARC compliant, which means it's internals should be "mostly"
documented.  The ACE consortium that maintained the ARC spec is very much
dead now.  Maybe if you bother the right people at MIPS you may be able
to find something.

There is no NetBSD port to this machine.  There is a port to a somewhat
similar ARC machine, the Acer Pica, but getting that to work on your NEC
machine would require some work.

Carl