Subject: Re: Assming char == signed char?
To: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 06/20/1995 12:00:00
[ On Mon, June 19, 1995 at 12:24:02 (-0700), Bakul Shah wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Assming char == signed char?
>
>[....]
> How does ANSI-isms make the x-compile harder?  Since you are
> not going to run the kernel on other systems, you can make
> it fully ANSIfied and prevents dumb errors.
>[....]

ANSI doesn't truely make it easier to prevent dumb errors.  Good
compilers and lint checkers do though.  In fact, fully ANSIified C won't
protect against the worst dumb mistakes.  Only a very thorough C
compiler, or a simple lint checker, can do that.

> One option is to religiously use cond. compile on function
> definitions as well so that you can get the benefit of an
> ANSI compiler's stricter type checking.  When the flag day
> arrives you can just throw out the ugly prototype related
> macros.

Oh, gross, ugly, unecessary, horrible idea!

K.I.S.S., *please*!  There's no loss in using the traditional style
definitions.  It's only a few more characters to type.....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>