Subject: Re: mkfs/mkproto or how are the intel fd's built?
To: None <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/20/1995 00:01:25
	   o	building root file systems from the source tree
	   o	installing kernels when cross compiling

These are only true if you're cross-compiling from a different
platform.  There is only one case I can think of where cross-compiling
for a system that isn't already running is even desirable, and that's
when someone is doing an initial port to a new machine.  In that case,
I would strongly encourage getting the machine to mount root over a
network interface first.  (This is partially because network drivers
are easier to write, and it means the rest of the port will get tested
sooner.)

	   o	(for x86) creating boot disks  (do you
		   really do everything on a disk then
		   DD it into a file?)

We use `vnd' devices for this, though mounting directly from a file is
probably more desirable.