Subject: Re: Comming port level changes in NetBSD-current?
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 11/12/1994 17:49:50
> With NetBSD-1.0 out the door (ya!)(1) I'm interested in hearing about
> changes are going into the post 1.0 source tree that could impact on
> porting work.  In particular things that may a) simplify the porting or
> b) complicate the re-merge of code.

they will do the former, at least for some ports.  they will also do
the latter.  8-)

> An answer, in a week or two, once the dust has settled would be fine.

OK.

for people interested in porting my advice would be to do one of two
things:
	(1) start with 1.0, and do the entire port on 1.0, or
	(2) start with -current after it goes back to being the
		'trunk' of the CVS tree (i.e. not the release branch),
		and keep updating occasionally.

Especially if you've made _any_ modifications to machine-independent
code, starting with 1.0 or pre-1.0, and then migrating to -current,
will be a real pain.  (note that means that if you're starting a port
now, (1) is the more difficult way to do it.  8-)

CVS handles the periodic merges necessary for (2) very well; i suggest
any and all porters use it.

chris