Subject: "pkg-config" problems under Mac OS X Leopard
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/26/2007 16:44:48
	Hello,

building "pkgsrc/x11/xcursor" fails under Mac OS X Leopard during
"make configure":

checking for XTHREADS in Xlib... yes
checking for xrender >= 0.8.2... yes
checking XRENDER_CFLAGS... -DXTHREADS -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
checking XRENDER_LIBS... -L/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXrender -lX11
checking for xfixes... Package xproto was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xproto.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'xproto', required by 'Xfixes', not found
configure: error: Library requirements (xfixes) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
*** Error code 1

1.) But "xproto.pc" *does* exist:

tron@rotarran:/usr/pkgsrc>ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/xproto.pc
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  212 Sep 24 04:53 /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/xproto.pc

2.) Mac OS X Leopard include X.org 7.2 which includes both "Xrender" and
   "xcursor". But for some funny reason "pkgsrc" doesn't want to use the
    bundled versions:

tron@rotarran:/usr/pkgsrc/x11/xcursor>bmake VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.Xrender show-var
yes
tron@rotarran:/usr/pkgsrc/x11/xcursor>bmake VARNAME=PREFER.Xrender show-var
pkgsrc

    Why is "PREFER.Xrender" set to "pkgsrc"? I don't have such a setting
    in "/etc/mk.conf".

	Kind regards