Subject: Re: option in gnome-base to avoid smb?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2007 10:22:34
Greg Troxel wrote:
> I looked in pkgsrc.txt, and while there is general "split vs. options"
> discussion, there is nothing that speaks against options in
> meta-packages.  An option in gnome-base to drop a dependency seems less
> troublesome than an option that changes behavior, because one can just
> add the dependency later with the same result, except in how
> dependencies are registered.
>
> Joerg has expressed that options in meta-packages seem unclean or
> improper somehow.  Can anyone articulate why?  Does anyone else object
> to adding a smb/samba option?

I have no problem with options in meta-packages -- the meta-packages
exist solely as convenient packages for users, and if adding an option
makes using the package more convenient or useful, then go ahead and add
  it.  Please just use good sense in choosing which dependencies to turn
on and off with options.  I would not like to see a meta-package where
every dependency got turned into an option.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny C. Lam