Subject: Re: option in gnome-base to avoid smb?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino@ac.upc.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/05/2007 14:48:19
On 05/11/2007, at 14:14, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I looked in pkgsrc.txt, and while there is general "split vs. options"
> discussion, there is nothing that speaks against options in
> meta-packages.  An option in gnome-base to drop a dependency seems
> less
> troublesome than an option that changes behavior, because one can just
> add the dependency later with the same result, except in how
> dependencies are registered.
>
> Joerg has expressed that options in meta-packages seem unclean or
> improper somehow.  Can anyone articulate why?  Does anyone else object
> to adding a smb/samba option?

I don't think adding the option there is any worse than adding it
somewhere else (as long as it stays enabled by default).  But then,
the meta-packages could end up being just a long list of options so
that you'd tune every package in it -- because, some times, they are
just that: a list of mostly-independent packages.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino@ac.upc.edu>