Subject: Re: Poor state of AIX support
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2007 22:23:10
On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 02:42:22PM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> You'll need to install the "AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications" which
> essentially is installing the rpm.rte fileset, which provides rpm.

Be ware that the GCC shipped with the Linux toolbox is essentially
broken. E.g. the stdio.h it provides doesn't correctly work with the
system headers.

> I've heard that there could be issues using GCC on AIX. If your system has
> xlC its supposedly better off. However I've never had an opportunity to try
> that out as it costs a good chunk of $$.

xlC works quiet nicely. I still have to figure out how to deal with the
dynamic linkage issues I see, but it is getting better. If you want to
help, a bulk build result can be found on

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/reports/AIX/20071005.1348/meta/report.txt
and the long version:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/reports/AIX/20071005.1348/meta/report.html

Joerg