Subject: Re: Outdated ion3 pkgsrc in violation of the license
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2007 00:24:34
--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:03:52AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 04:36:47PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Philip,
> >=20
> > See this email on NetBSD's tech-pkg below.
>=20
> Wow, that was a 'nice' mail.
>=20
> I for myself would say: Remove all traces of ion from pkgsrc.
>=20
> E.g.: http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/download.html

Well, Ion(tm) 2 is clean and proper LGPL, so it's not bad, but I agree
that we shouldn't have to care about complete nutballs.

Of course, we still have djbwares around, which have a weird licence for
the exact same reasons Ion3(tm) has that licence.  See my point about
nutballs.

We also have the choice of renaming the package;  e.g. Fion, which I'm
sure my fellow countrymen will appreciate.

I wouldn't stop using Ion(tm) (2, I've never had any use for 3), but I
wouldn't mind having the package in local.  The only maintaining it
needs is for infrastructure changes anyway.  I'm speaking of wm/ion; my
personal opinion is that wm/ion3-devel should simply be dropped.

--=20

--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0

--1y6imfT/xHuCvpN0--