Subject: Re: Challenge: getting crosscompiling product-ready.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2007 19:48:15
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I was at the Systems computer fair yesterday, and the "T2" project[1]
> was near us. They claim that their packaging system can compile about
> 50% of the 2.500 pkgs in their "T2" packaging system as crosscompiling.

Okay .. so how much of this wager is crosscompiling on linux/$hardware
(Tee Two EssDeeEee) vs. $random_os/$random_hardware (NetBSD/pkgsrc)..
I'd think the former is easier given a random package list of
mostly-userland-linux-glibc-centric-software like
'alsa-lib,alsa-driver,alsa-firmware,alsa-oss' inflating the package
count in their favor.. how many breakout packages would NetBSD itself be
anyway? does that count?

pkgsrc / netbsd / bsd-libc / random hardware is probably a tougher
target just by nature of being more 'obscure' for
random-linux-centric-app ..

looks to me like this t2 thing is mostly 'build linux apps for any
hardware' instead of 'build packages for any os and any hardware' ...

a better wager might be for
random-agreed-upon-os/random-agreed-upon-hardware ..

for example how about if the bet is for crosscompiling with either build
system against say vax/ultrix, osf/alpha or aix/ppc with the native
toolchain ..

just hate to see ya lose a silly bet on unequal territory :)