Subject: Re: PKG_OPTIONS x11
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2007 08:25:05
"Masao Uebayashi" <uebayasi@gmail.com> writes:

> I personally like that every package support "x11" PKG_OPTIONS ... I
> mean, I want to use more packages without X installed.  As an example
> I can have made teTeX3 (and ja-ptex) work w/o X.
>
> This benefits users who don't like to install X.  OTOH this will add
> slight complexity to the relevant makefiles.

I'm generally in favor of options to omit features that require
dependencies, but of course there's a maintenance complexity
vs. usefulness tradeoff.  Having an x11 option that if not selected
removes linking against x11 libs seems reasonable.  I think x11 should
be on by default.

/usr/pkgsrc/mk/defaults/options.description shows both x11 and nox11
options.  I would be inclined to add x11 and put it in SUGGESTED for any
newly-added options.