Subject: Re: PKGMANDIR
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2007 18:32:35
On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:22:04AM -0400, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> >It's arguable that we could have done some automatic PLIST
> >manipulation, but we also have to concern ourselves with installation
> >into the correct directory if that is done, and we're into much
> >more complexity already.
>
> We currently do some magic in PLIST generation so that we can say
> "man/man1/foo.1" in the committed PLIST but have it expand automatically
> into ${PKGMANDIR}/man1/foo.1 in the generated +CONTENTS file.  It's not
> difficult to automatically move the installed manpages from "man/manX"
> into ${PKGMANDIR}/manX as part of the same step (similar to the way that
> MANZ works), which would work for most packages.

I've never been a fan of mv'ing files within ${PREFIX} as part of
the installation or fix-up process, and don't see why we should
start now. The MANZ handling is simply an inplace compression or
decompression of a manual page - maybe it's sleight of hand, but
I don't count that as being the same thing. The original motivation
for MANZ was the ncurses package, but I digress...

I too have fixed many packages to use PKGMANDIR, but I don't think
it's on by default in pkglint - I do remember seeing some references
to PKGMANDIR, but that may have been when I borked something in
the PLIST.

Regards,
Alistair