Subject: Re: PKGMANDIR
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2007 08:48:52
Just want to mention a few things:

- many software are inconsistent where the install man pages -- so they
need to be patched one way or another. (We patched many from hard-coded
share/man to just man.)

- for years, autoconf default to just PREFIX/man. But this changed in June
2006: Since Autoconf 2.60, mandir has a different default value (changed
from $prefix/man to $datarootdir/man). Of course that is an easy
workaround, but just shows that a huge amount of software installs are now
(or will soon be) using PREFIX/share/man.

I was using this for years because my LOCALBASE was /usr. And I didn't
like /usr/man/. :)

  Jeremy C. Reed