Subject: Re: PKGMANDIR
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2007 13:46:52
Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 12:12:17PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>Why do we need the extra complexity of PKGMANDIR when a simple "man" is
>>usually enough? The usual places for documentation (bmake help, the
>>pkgsrc guide and the CVS log) don't answer this question.
>

> Different platforms have different requirements - some need
> shar/man, some just man, others may require something different.

Is this "need" really that strict? You usually have to add
$LOCALBASE/man to the MANPATH anyway, so why doesn't pkgsrc provide the
same environment on each operating system?

Can you explain this "need" a bit more? Are the pkgsrc man pages
inaccessible if they are stored in $LOCALBASE/man instead of
$LOCALBASE/share/man?

Roland