Subject: Re: What is MANINSTALL good for?
To: NetBSD pkgsrc Discussion <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/2007 10:21:59
On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 04:32:40PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what the variable MANINSTALL is, where it comes from and
> why we should keep it in pkgsrc.

IMHO it comes from the normal NetBSD tree.
It is usefull if you want to have only the formated manual pages.

> Most programs ignore this variable anyway, and I doubt there are many
> pkgsrc users actually knowing that they can set this variable.
>
> I'd like to get rid of the extra complexity this variable brings, unless
> someone can persuade me that we really need it.

I use it for the NetBSD tree and had to move the setting into the non
BSD_PKG_MK block, because I got some problems with packages.
You have to be carefull with packages who uses the bsd mk infrastructure, or
imake manual pages installation where you can also define to only install
man and/or catmanpages.

Can you post a diff what you want to change before you commit it?

Regards,
Bernd