Subject: Re: make configure failure on libICE, libSM, ...
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/2007 08:47:48
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

> > > Before I file a PR, I'd ask for an advice.
> > >
> > > Attempt to compile x11/libICE package, I get the following
> > > error on make configure stage.  The same error also with
> > > x11/libSM, and some other packages.  I cannot recall the
> > > exact name, though.
> > >
> > > My system is 4.99.31, but this problem exists for weeks or
> > > so now.  xproto-7.0.10 is installed, X11_TYPE is not defined
> > > in /etc/mk.conf.
> >
> > Do you have NetBSD's native x11 (XFree86) installed?
> >
> > If it doesn't yet, it would be nice if pkgsrc clearly complained about
> > this.
>
> Yes, I installed XFree86 4.5.0 built from xsrc into /usr/X11R6.

The libICE (and libSM) you are trying to build is from modular X.org. Its
dependencies are from modular X.org. It can't find its dependencies unless
X11_TYPE is set to "modular".

Is there a reason you need x11/libICE and libSM?

I think if the native /usr/X11R6 is compatible enough, it could be used to
build some modular components. (In the past I have had X.org under
/usr/X11R6 and used X11_TYPE as native the default, but that doesn't make
sense to me to use any more.)

I have mentioned this a few times: it would be good if building modular
X.org components had more clear errors/warnings about it instead of having
end-user figure it out from the pkg-config messages (and gnome-config
warning). We have probably had well over 25 emails or PRs like this over
the past year. It is probably pkgsrc's most FAQ.

  Jeremy C. Reed