Subject: Re: difficulty from renaming packages, and how to deal
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/21/2007 12:50:35
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 10:43:32AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So, I'd like us to design (quickly) a database (file format) to store
>> the information usable for pkg_rolling-replace, and maybe automatically
>> usable by make replace. I'll assume that something like (1) is done.
>
> Why can't you just use pkgsrc/doc/CHANGES-* for that?

We would need to change the format; it doesn't have enough information,
because it doesn't encode the PGKNAME of the old PKG_PATH.  And it
doesn't record anything when PKGNAME changes and PKG_PATH doesn't.

But, there are only 128 rename entries, so we could add a new type for
name-without-path, and change Renamed to take a pkgname as well.