Subject: Re: official logo proposal
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2007 19:36:58
--/RvYOEQaqo9O34Ko

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 07:09:07PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> >>I'm not so sure that unfolded cube is "instantly recognisable" for
> >>anyone that doesn't know what pkgsrc is.
> >
> >because a folded cube is?
>=20
> And who said it's obvious that it's a folded cube?

And who cares if the cube is folded or not?  A logo is meant to be
simple and easily distinguished;  not to deliver an obvious message.

Besides, it's no cube.  The three orange areas represent the three
main goals of pkgsrc:  simplicity, portability and flexibility.  The
orange colour is the same optimistic tone that was used in the NetBSD
flag (it's co-incidental, of course).  The White Stripes bring music
into the picture, and pkgsrc is the mix of all that, freed from that
vowelly need of pronouncibility.

A cube.  I mean, puh-lease.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--/RvYOEQaqo9O34Ko

--/RvYOEQaqo9O34Ko--