Subject: Re: official logo proposal
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@NetBSD.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2007 09:11:05
Dieter Baron wrote:
> hi,
>
> we (pkgsrc PMC) have been asked to decide on an official logo for
> pkgsrc.  We are happy to present a candidate here.
>
>   The last thread on tech-pkg produced two basic logo designs.  While
> the folding paper box design by Thomas Bieg is very original and
> expresses elegantly what pkgsrc is about, it is a rather complex
> design with many small parts; it would not work well in small sizes,
> or on buttons or t-shirts.  Therefore, we propose the simpler design
> by Chris Wareham (based on the older design by Hubert Feyrer).
>
>   Since the box had problems with perspective and the provided EPS was
> rather large, I recreated the logo.  Please review the result at
> http://www.netbsd.org/~dillo/pkgsrc-logo.html
>
>   Your comments are welcome.
>
>                                         yours,
>                                         dillo

I find this looks awful clunky. It looks thrown together. There are 2
elements that do not relate to each other: an edge-less box and the word
"pkgsrc" in a bulky roundy font. There's also something strange going on
with the perspective of that cube.

And the 3D-ness of the cube does not blend well with the flatness of the
text. This will not be easy to work with in context of printed or
web-based materials.

I *much* prefer Thomas Bieg's design, which was a paper cut-out for a
box marked "pkgsrc". This is clever and the presentation looks finished.
I even printed it out and made a box and it looks good! It's flat yet
suggests the "source" for a 3-dimensional object.

In the last discussion Thomas Bieg's logo seemed to be more liked by
those who commented too.

His site is still up: http://www.3tb.de/pkgsrc/logo.html

The site shows that this logo is very versatile.

Louis