Subject: Re: official logo proposal
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@NetBSD.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2007 14:39:00
On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:54:18AM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> hi,
>
> we (pkgsrc PMC) have been asked to decide on an official logo for
> pkgsrc.  We are happy to present a candidate here.
>
>   The last thread on tech-pkg produced two basic logo designs.  While
> the folding paper box design by Thomas Bieg is very original and
> expresses elegantly what pkgsrc is about, it is a rather complex
> design with many small parts; it would not work well in small sizes,
> or on buttons or t-shirts.  Therefore, we propose the simpler design
> by Chris Wareham (based on the older design by Hubert Feyrer).
>
>   Since the box had problems with perspective and the provided EPS was
> rather large, I recreated the logo.  Please review the result at
> http://www.netbsd.org/~dillo/pkgsrc-logo.html
>
>   Your comments are welcome.

I still like Thomas Bieg's logo a lot.  The complexity problem could be
solved by providing a "simplified" version without the folding edges (I
don't know what they're called in English) for use in smaller sizes,
keeping the original one for use on websites etc.

I don't want to block the proposal though, I'm glad we're finally getting
at a decision point.

	Geert